Glamorgan Constabulary, Constable 128 Fitzgibbon, 1856 (Submitted by Ross Mather, www.britishpolicehelmet.co.uk)

 


 

Constable 73G Charles Bray Smith (later sergeant), Glamorganshire Constabulary, c1880. (Submitted by his Great Great Grandson, Paul Gibson)

 


 

Annual inspection, Glamorganshire officers stationed at Swansea, photograph taken at the police station at the rear of the old Guildhall. (Submitted by Paul Gibson)

 


 

Pontadawe Division of Glamorgan Constabulary in 1905 in a solid-tyre Franson charabanc

 


 

Glamorgan Constabulary Inspector in the rear yard Ogmore Vale Police Station (Submitted by Steve Daly)

 

 

he Ogmore Vale Police Station was built in 1884. Kelly’s Directory of 1910 lists a Sergeant William Hall and two Constables in residence at the police station. Glamorgan Constabulary General Orders from the Second World War reveal that by that time Ogmore Vale was a Sub-division of the Bridgend Division and was commanded by an Inspector. The Ogmore Vale

sub-division covered Ogmore Vale, Nantymoel, Blaengarw, Blackmill and Pontycymmer, as well as the police post at Ogmore Vale Colliery, where a solitary Sergeant provided police supervision.

 

Today the police station is a private dwelling and has been extensively altered and extended to the sides and rear, while retaining the original building as the core, but with very few features identifying it as the former police station other than the date and legend “Police Station” on the front gable. Towards the end of 2013 the property was on the market for £500,000.


 

1977 picture of Ogmore Vale Police Station (Submitted by Steve Daly)

 


 

(Submitted by Ross Mather, www.britishpolicehelmet.co.uk)

 

 

Above is one of three presentation truncheons known to exist. A small number were specially commissioned by the Glamorgan Constabulary Chief Constable Lionel Lindsey to present to officers and some colliery officials who were present at the attack and defence of Glamorgan Colliery, Lllwynypia, Rhondda Valley. This one was made to present to ‘R E’. On the base of the truncheon handle is the maker’s stamp HIATT'S, BIRMINGHAM.

 

On Monday 7th November 1910, strikers (approx 4,000 in number) surrounded and picketed the Glamorgan colliery. This resulted in sharp skirmishes with police officers posted inside the site. Although miners’ leaders called for calm, a small group of strikers began stoning the pump-house. A portion of the wooden fence surrounding the site was torn down.

 

Hand-to-hand fighting ensued between miners and police. After repeated baton charges, the police drove strikers back towards Tonypandy Square, just after midnight. Between 1am and 2am of 8th November a demonstration at Tonypandy Square was dispersed by Cardiff police using truncheons, resulting in casualties on both sides. This led Glamorgan's Chief Constable, Lionel Lindsay, supported by the general manager of the Cambrian Combine, to request military support from the War Office.

  

 

Glamorgan Constabulary left and right

 

  

 

Glamorgan Constabulary

 

 

 

Whitchurch Division Special Constabulary, c1917

 

 
 

 
 

The building in the background of the above photograph is most likely the Whitchurch Police Station. Only one of the Officers is wearing uniform and it is possible he may be the Inspector in charge of the Division. Most of the men are, however, wearing uniform caps and many also seem to have lapel badges. The Glamorgan Constabulary played a significant role in homeland policing through the First World War because of the critical importance of the coal mines within its area. The region was also a major centre for iron and steel making and for shipping.

 

 

1963 BSA C15 ex Glamorgan police beat bike (Submitted by Tony Roach)

 




Copyright © 2017 British Police History. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use